Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Imagery in Ode on Melancholy

What?

  • We explain briefly the conventions of lyric poetry
  • We identify and explain the images I use in my second ode.
  • We begin to find patterns (images, language, ideas, sounds, whatever) that connect the three poems studied so far.

Task One - THE LYRIC POEM

Firstly we need to remind ourselves about what lyric poetry is (because that´s the genre I write in!), and its conventions. Read this and this (if you want a more in-depth understanding), or this (if you just want the basics).

Be prepared to feed back what you have learnt about lyric poetry in five short minutes...








Task Two - MELANCHOLY

We are about to read what many believe to be the second poem in my classic sequence of jaw-droppingly good odes.( I wrote them all so close together that I can't remember the order.) And I'm dead so I can't tell you anyhow.

Before we do, I want you to consider how the term "melancholy" differs from "sadness. Again, be prepared to feed back what you have learnt. Two short minutes...?

(Weird image, no?)


Task Three - Reading the poem
  • Look in your handouts or click this for the poem
  • We read as a class
  • Individually, select a short phrase or even a single word that you feel is in some way interesting, important, puzzling, connects to something you already understand about my work, connects to something you have read today, whatever...
  • Jot down some notes as to why you have chosen it. We will use this as a basis for initial discussion about the poem. I expect EVERYONE to contribute. So there.

Task Four - Exploring Images
  • In order to explore my use of images in this poem (synaesthetic or not), I want you to find two suitable images, OR CREATE them yourself, for EACH stanza.
  • You must include for each image the line(s) from the poem that have inspired it.
  • You must also include a fairly detailed explanation as to how the image works to create meaning in the poem. This is the difficult part. It is also the part I am most interested to read to ascertain your understanding of my poetry.
  • You may wish to link the image to a particular concern of mine, you may connect it other poems, you may discuss the use of technical devices used in creating the image (metaphor, simile, sound patterns, etc).
  • You will need to upload these to your blog (today if you have time, Friday if not).
  • Work as a PAIR or ALONE. Good luck, Keatsians!




No comments:

Post a Comment