Monday, March 10, 2014

Ode on a Grecian Urn

WHAT?
  • Understand the tensions and conflicts presented in the poem
  • Understand HOW I present these tensions/conflicts
  • Understand how Keats uses rhythm and meter to create effects (review of last class)
HOW?
  • Make a mock Grecian Urn, like the one which inspires the speaker in my poem using the evidence given in the poem, and the materials at hand
  • Discuss our growing understanding of the ideas I present to the reader, after completing the Urn task
 READING AND DISCUSSION

1) First let's read my poem. 

2) You may want to remind yourself what an ode is, and how us romantics created our own new kind of ode. 

3) To begin with,  can you find anything which suggests why my speaker in this poem seems to be so moved by the Grecian Urn he describes??


MAKING THE URN
  • In your assigned groups, you will use paper, scissors, glue, the bowls I give you (which you can use as support to create a suitable shape for your paper urn), pens, colours, selotape, etc to replicate the urn my speaker describes
  • To do this well will require a CLOSE READING of the stanzas which describe the artwork on the urn, UNDERSTANDING the references I am making, and VISUALIZING the images described
  • You have a limited amount of time, so TEAMWORK and DIVISION of tasks will be vital
  • Remember there are many different scenes and characters described, so you will need to PLAN your design carefully beforehand to ensure everything will all fit on your urn
  • As you read closely, I would like you to further consider the effects the urn has on the speaker in my poem, and will expect you to FEED BACK to the class about this after completing your urn
  • Some tensions and conflicts I raise in the poem which you might like to consider as you create your urn are:
    • the frozen images on the urn vs the dynamic life portrayed
    • the human/changeable vs the immortal/permanent
    • participation vs observation
    • life vs art

Groups:
A
Sofia
Valentino
Carola






B
Jazmin
Thomas
Florencia






C
Rocio
Joaquin
Josefina
Isabel



D
Francisco
Milagros
Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment